The Non-Toxic Times, December, 1999
And Now For Something Really Big:
· Dioxin, a chemical by-product of the manufacturing of chlorine-bleached paper, is believed to be the single most carcinogenic chemical known to science.
· Cancer-causing dioxin residue from chlorine-bleaching may be found in products like coffee filters, disposable diapers, paper towels, and bathroom tissue.
· Dioxin has been linked to endometriosis, immune system impairment, diabetes, neurotoxicity, birth defects (including fetal death), decreased fertility, testicular atrophy, and reproductive dysfunction in both women and men.
· In 1997, The American Public Health Association unanimously passed are solution urging American industry to stop using the chemical chlorine.
· Chlorine vapors can irritate your lungs and pose a serious risk to people who suffer from asthma and other lung problems.
· When you open the door of your dishwasher after washing, toxic volatized chlorine from dish detergent and tap water is released into the air.
· The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency has found dioxin to be 300,000 times more potent as a carcinogen than DDT.* Every year, between five and ten million poisonings are caused by household cleaning products containing toxic ingredients like chlorine.
· Studies show that forty to seventy percent of the dioxin in bleached coffee filters can leach into your coffee; dioxin found in paper milk cartons also leaches into the milk you drink.
· Thanks to chlorine pollution, Americans ingest a daily amount of dioxin that is already 300 to 600 times greater than the EPA's so-called "safe" dose.
· Pregnant women in their first trimester who drink five or more glasses of chlorinated tap water a day may be at a much higher risk of miscarriage than women who drink non-chlorinated water.
· Cancer-causing chemicals like chlorine found in many household products are readily absorbed through the skin.
For more info on toxic chemicals in common products and healthier alternatives:
return to menu